16th Annual Open Mic
Kraftin Schreyer, MD Barriers to Performance Management
Mark Magee, MD Syncope: A Tale of Ultrasound and Why it Matters
The winners of the 2018 Open Mic will be invited to give a formal presentation at the 2019 Scientific Assembly in Las Vegas, NV.
What is Open Mic?
Open Mic is a proud tradition within AAEM, where attendees have the unique opportunity they have always wanted to speak at a national meeting. This open-floor format allows 16 "new voices" to be heard and evaluated by education committee members and conference attendees.
Registered Open Mic participants will have an opportunity to present a 25-minute lecture (20 minutes for presentation, 5 minutes for questions) on any topic of their choosing. The top two speakers will be invited to give a formal presentation at the 2019 Scientific Assembly in Las Vegas, NV.
How to Participate
Ten of the time slots will be filled in advance. The remaining six time slots will be filled on a "first-come, first-served" basis by signing up onsite. Specific slots reserved for full voting members, YPS members, and residents. Membership in AAEM or RSA is a prerequisite for participating.
Advance sign-up for the 16th Annual Open Mic Competition is now closed. On-site sign-up will be available at the registration desk.
*Note: Six candidates register onsite (two slots reserved for residents and two for young physicians), the remaining two slots are open to anyone. AAEM membership is a pre-requisite for participation.
Monday, April 9, 2018 | Rancho Santa Fe 1
Silent Strategies: Pearls to Optimize Clinician Communication in the ED
Wake Up Strokes
Barriers to Performance Improvement
How to Join a KULT
Syncope: A Tale of Ultrasound and Why It Matters
From HIV to Opioid: A Tale of Two Crises in Emergency Medicine
The Opioid Epidemic: Emergency Medicine’s Role in the Problem and Solution
The Third Time is a Charm: STEMI in a 26 Year Old Soldier
Configuring an Electronic Data Information Source (EDIS) That Won't Drive Your Emergency Department Providers Crazy
*This is not an educational track and there will be no CME for these sessions. AAEM membership is a pre-requisite for participation.
Open Mic Details
- A PC laptop connected to a projector will be provided in the room. Please bring your presentation on a flash drive to the conference room. If you prefer to use your own device, please bring your own connection cords/adapter. AAEM is not responsible for AV issues. An AV technician is not stationed in this room. You will be asked to load your own presentation and begin speaking.
- No internet is provided in the room. Sound is projected from the laptop, no additional speakers or mixer are provided.
- Please plan to attend the orientation of Open Mic on Monday, April 9, 2018 at 7:45am in San Diego at the Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina.
- A lavaliere microphone is provided. Please plan your wardrobe to include a pocket or belt to hold the transmitter and a collared shirt or jacket to attach the mic.
- It is recommended that you stay in this session until all speakers have presented. There is not a scheduled break between speakers and sessions may run faster than indicated.
- Please prepare a short biography (30-45 seconds) to introduce yourself and your topic. Suggested items to include are your name, affiliation/degrees, location, passion for this topic, hobbies/interests in free time.
- Participants in Open Mic are expected to register for the Scientific Assembly.
Those who presented at the 2017 Open Mic Session are not eligible to sign up.
If you have questions regarding submissions, please call AAEM at (800) 884-2236 or email Kathy Uy at firstname.lastname@example.org.